RE: Vector Emulation

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 12:46:49 EDT

> BTW, finding an old high persistence monitor is not my idea of the
> correct solution. I want 1600x1200 with the texture mapping AND decay,
> that
> should look *better* than the real thing - except for the brightness of
> the
> bullets... Just can't win can you?

Of course you could also just open up the monitor, turn up the screen drive
as much as it'll go without raising the black level, detune the focus a bit,
and then crank the contrast control all the way over. :-) VGA-type color
monitors are meant to produce good *quality* images-- not really the same
settings that you want for an 80's vector game.

If someone has *way* too much time on their hands-- go modify the MAME
source to calculate the amount of vector energy drawn "offscreen" (past the
clipping area I suppose) and then re-apply a function of it to the overall
screen brightness. Recreate that "flashing" screen when you're hit.

I'll be seriously impressed if anyone can ever make a raster monitor look as
"cool" as a real color vector though-- just something about those big, slow
color vectors being drawn just under the burn-limit on the phosphors... I
doubt you could deliver enough energy to the phosphors over a given period
of time to get the same effect w/ a raster display. Well, without voiding
the warranty on the monitor anyway. ;-)

-Clay