Re: Vector programming

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 17:21:22 EDT

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:01:46 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> The only way to Play Tempest 2K was on the Jaguar.
>
>Eh? There was a PC version of it, too. I had a demo copy of it when I
>bought my Wingman Warrior. Was real blocky and had low res graphics.

Yeah, but it sucked. My understanding is that the Jaguar had the code
to allow you to hack in a spinner, the PC didn't.

I think what David meant was: "The only [decent] way to Play Tempest
2k was on the Jaguar".

The PC version didn't even allow you to change the auto-repeat
response on the keyboard, and it over rode any settings you setup
before starting the game. The default settings were: Press a
direction key and the flipper flips once, then wait for nearly a
second (a long time in Tempest), then take off at some uncontrollable
speed approaching that of light.

That alone made anything else the game had to offer worthless.

But that was "MY" copy. Did you mean to imply that there was a copy
supplied with the Wingman that allow you to use the spinner? It
seemed to me this could be done by simply simulating a key press for
each tick of a spinner, maybe this is the way Wingman did it? Or did
they have a special compile that understood the Wingman spin knob?

Either way, that would be cool.

(And yeah, the graphics did suck.)

-Zonn