Re: Vector programming

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 14:01:02 EDT

Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Hey... I just had a different idea for game scoring. I dunno if it's unique
> or not, so someone tell me if you've seen it before. Let's say it some
> kind of vector game (what elese? :-) and with a definate goal-- clear out
> toxic waste from a series of levels or something (doesn't really matter).
> At the beginning of the game (and the begining of each level) the player is
> awarded X number of points to the score. The score then starts counting
> down until the level is cleared. If the score reaches zero the player loses
> a life, but gets to start the level over with a new starting score.

Major Havoc does that in the space levels. But you don't loose a life when it gets down to
the minimum value.
  Your idea would work well tho, especially if the music and pace of the game sped up as
the timer got closer to zero. Sort of like asteroids but where the game was all based on a
timer. That would definitely stop 'saucer hunting'. ahhh. maybe a good hacking project!