RE: Vector programming

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 12:25:47 EDT

> Then why do they insist on burying 800 different "secret moves",
> using
> rediculous button combinations, inside the games? :) (Oh, right - that
> comes under the "taking the dollar every 30 seconds" part.)

Yep. Simple controls "set the hook", then the 8-bazillion point progresive
combos "reel 'em in" with endless continues and
impossible-to-kill-on-a-quarter bosses... :-)

Hey... I just had a different idea for game scoring. I dunno if it's unique
or not, so someone tell me if you've seen it before. Let's say it some
kind of vector game (what elese? :-) and with a definate goal-- clear out
toxic waste from a series of levels or something (doesn't really matter).
At the beginning of the game (and the begining of each level) the player is
awarded X number of points to the score. The score then starts counting
down until the level is cleared. If the score reaches zero the player loses
a life, but gets to start the level over with a new starting score. (The
player can also die from game interactions too though, so zero-score isn't
the only thing that kills you.) When the next level starts the player gets
more points, but if he takes *too* long the countdown will continue eating
into the previous level's points too. So in effect game "scoring" is just
based on speed and efficiency of clearing a level. Might work well for a
puzzle game or something.

(Ok, I don't know what prompted that idea, but what the hell... I just
figured out that the reason my Thursday conference call doesn't seem to have
anyone in it is because it's only Wednesday. Going to be one of those
days...)

-Clay