Re: New Vector monitor project progress : Yoke issues

From: James Nelson <nelsonjjjj_at_didactics.com>
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 17:11:27 EDT

The magnetic field is proportional to the current (in the yoke), and thus
more windings in parallel is better because:

1.) the voltage does not have to be pushed too high due to higher impedance
and
2.) Less heating in the coils.

I'm mostly looking for a technical dicsussion on this.
Thanks for the comments,

-James

>Now what you've been waiting for: The Yoke!
>
>I have been thinking about this for years. I don't want to wind my own,
but
>you have to to get the correct inductance for the Y axis. It is about 100x
>too much inductance, and would require a high voltage drive to make it work
>without re-winding. Inductance goes as N^2 where N is # of turns. So
>divide the coil up into 4, 8 or 10 sections and run them parallel. That
>will give me 1/16 , 1/64or 1/100 the inductance, which will be between 1- 6
>millihenrys. This will be adequate for use with a moderately higher
voltage
>drive.

Brilliant. It'll be interesting to see how well this converges. By
putting them in parallel you can lower the voltage of the drive, but
buy putting them in parallel you're also going to need *much* higher
drive currents than a single properly wound yoke. No problem, just
throw a couple more pass transistors at it.

(Of course after you've divided the yoke up into 4, 8 or 10 sections,
maybe you could throw away 3, 7, or 9 sections? And just drive the
yoke with the proper amount of turns? But I'm sure you've thought of
the pros and cons of this, and anyhow, how you do it is up to you!)