RE: Vector programming

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 14:26:11 EDT

> 1) Make high-score ranking based on somthing other than score, like number
> of enemies destroyed, instead. Or, at least have two separate high-score
> tables, one based on score and the other based on numbers of enemies
> killed.

Ah, that's a kinda cool idea. I always like the "accuracy" bit too like
Galaga does in the challenge stages. (Actually, the PSX game Einhander is
pretty neat-- it draws kind-of a polar coordinate graph showing accuracy,
score, and something else. Kinda unique.)

> 2) Make it valuable to stay alive. Time detracts from your points but
> killing enemies increases your points. This way, played poorly but
> completed
> a player can still gain points, or at least break even. But if an expert
> player clears all emenies very quickly he will get a maximum score much
> higher that that of the level-starting bonus.

This was actually part of the original intent.

> The difference is that instead of having a separate bonus counter
> on-screen,
> the "bonus" is applied immediately to the score and your concept of
> detracting from score earned on previous levels would still apply.

Right, the twist is that the big bonus you got three rounds ago is still in
jeopardy if you do poorly later in the game! :-)

> You would have to present all enemies immediately thereby giving the
> experienced player the opportunity to clear them all quickly. They could
> appear in a dormant state and awaken over time. Or perhaps they are off in
> the distance and much harder to hit. With accurate aim, as developed by an
> experienced player, it would be possible to shoot them early while they
> are
> still not a threat. As they came closer they would be easier to hit but
> pose
> a greater threat (and be worth fewer points?).

Those are cool ideas. I was thinking a good approach is something like a
definate goal on each level (escape the maze, blow up all the Glarptrons,
whatever) but to allow for distractions and/or different point
opportunities. ("Should I leave now and keep the point I have, or risk
blowing that jump to the right in order to kill that Fooznik for 500
points")

> Perhaps the threat is that their wepons have limited range. When in range
> it
> would still be possible to avoid their attack by maneuvering quickly
> (perhaps their attacks are directional). As the skill level increases the
> attacks could come from a greater distance and/or with more advanced
> wepons.

Hey, that's an interesting idea too...

-Clay