Re: New Vector monitor project progress

From: Matthew Sell <msell_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 10:25:09 EDT

James,

It might be very interesting to see what really does happen if a common rastor
monitor is modified to accept vector signals rather than composite or VGA-based
signals.

Food for thought: (cranking up the 'ole think tank)

If you were to take a easily obtainable (read: inexpensive) monitor, cut the
signal path at the point where the "rastor" signal is fed to the deflection
amps, and inserted a vector-based signal, would that work?

Potential problems:

1) Where does the HV section get the oscillating waveform? If it's from earlier
stages, then it should still run regardless of the signal fed to the deflection
amps.

2) Can the defection coils and transistors handle an aggressive vector signal
(Tempest).

My experience with television has been older sets and I cannot remember if the
"flyback" has a separate source for power or if it's obtained directly from the
horizontal amp on newer monitors. I'd really like some feedback as to what the
architecture of newer game monitors is like.

    - Matt