Re: WG6100 Problems (Please Help).

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 10:29:11 EDT

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, John Robertson wrote:

> Have you installed the over-deflection safety circuit? This is the zener
> diodes on the inputs to the monitor and are designed to limit the beam
> deflection to the maximum the transistors can handle. This info is about
> 1/8th of the way down, titled:
>
> Atari Color X-Y Display Deflection PCB
>
> This might save the monitor from further blow-ups caused by the logic board.
>
> John :-#)#

        I asked this question of the list a month or so ago, and didn't
get an answer, but John's message has prompted me to ask again....

        Has anybody gotten this to work, in practice? In theory, I know
that the back-to-back Zeners on the inputs should work, but in practice (I
have tried installing this on 3 or 4 different monitors -- Wells Gardner
and Amplifone) all this "upgrade" gives me is a solid spot-killer LED on
an otherwise working deflection board. If I remove the back-to-back
Zeners everything works fine again. Putting the Zeners on either channel
causes the problem.

        Am I missing something? Beofre someone suggests it, yes, I did
put the zeners together correctly...

Joe