RE: Tempest resetting problem

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 13:40:23 EDT

> That's kind of interesting. I can run a working Tempest board fine with
> my pod. The "May need Reset" message on the Fluke is normal. The Tempest
> manual does say that it won't run correctly unless it's using a 6502A
> processor. I wonder if some pods were made with a 6502 and others a
> 6502A?

You actually put your own CPU in the pod, but I think they have a "max" rate
too. One thing that *might* be an issue is if the pod introduces any
additional propogation delay to the signals. Since some games are just
under the wire anyway (remember those internal Atari memo's I put up a
couple years ago about changing certain parts to S instead of LS series to
shave a few nanoseconds for some timing violations?) with respect to timing
maybe the additional delays are enough to mess some stuff up.

> Can a tempest even run at all with a slightly different CPU?

I've run it with stock 6502's before. Star Wars also runs dandy with all
the 68A09EP's I tried too. Just overclocking for the 1980's. ;-)

-Clay