Re: Space Duel HV advice

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 14:33:05 EDT

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Jess Askey wrote:

> about +25V there. If you don't (voltage is much lower), the resistor is
> bad (open). You may also have an open driv coil but I have never seen one
> go bad. It usually reads about .7 Ohms so you will have very little voltage
> drop across it. Check the resistor, Im 99% sure it is open.

Well, I wasn't getting anything done at work anyway, so I had to run home
for lunch and try this out . . .

Jess, you're a genius. That was the path of the problem for sure. Wasn't the
resistor though -- the solder needed to be reflowed around the transformer
pins. I had tested it. It always test OK because the meter probe leads
pushed the solder against the pins. When I tested the path end to end, the
break was obvious.

Incidently, the transformer reads at about 19 ohms, so the whole path should
read 22-23 ohms, if anyone else ever goes through this.

So the obvious bears repeating: REFLOW EVERYTHING. I suppose the
transformer is in this case more akin to connector pins than a componant, in
that it is ridgid and more prone to becoming loose.

Thanks Jess !!

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/