RE: PUFF the magic G08, lived, by the sea...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 20:15:01 EDT

> This may not apply, but I recently lost the color green on my
> Wells-Gardner 6101. Since it happened on more than one monitor, I took
> a look at the game wiring harness. It turned out to be a couple of the
> pins in the big monitor molex were pushed down and not making good
> contact.

No, no, no, Noel! You did that all wrong! What fun is just fixing the bad
connector? First you take out the PCB's and test them for color outputs.
That would appear normal, so jump to the conclusion that the problem must be
the monitor.

Take all the boards out of the monitor and resolder everything in the color
circuits path. Try it again.

That wouldn't have helped, so figure it *must* be the neck board (just
because... neck boards are funny that way). Take a neck board off a spare
chassis and hack it into the monitor. Try it again.

Now both Red *and* green will be out 'cause the replacement neck board
really *is* bad. This will only re-affirm your belief that the neck board
is the culprit. Now desolder the parts from the Red and Blue channels on
the original neck board (since they're known good) and swap them onto the
one that's missing red and green. Try it again.

If you did things correctly, you will have put at least one transistor in
backwards resulting in it's complete and utter destruction with a satisfying
"pop". Take the neckboard off, rifle through the pile of parts you pulled
off the (good) neckboard and test them looking for a suitable replacement
for the dead one. That won't be hard 'cause they'll all be good, but of
course you don't know that. Replace the bad transistor with a good one.
Put everything together. Try it again.

About this time you will have managed to accidentally fix the bad wire in
the harness by just unplugging and re-plugging everything so many times.
When you turn the machine on again it'll work just fine! You'll then have
the satisfaction of fixing such a complex problem and be able to tell the
tale of danger and excitement to anyone who will listen (in awe). ;-)

-Clay