Electrostatic deflection?

From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol_at_home.com>
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 08:57:27 EDT

I fully admit that I'm out of my league in these discussions...don't
let these musings slow anyone down...

I was thinking about the yoke issue, and am wondering if it's
feasable to modify a vector (or raster) monitor to do electrostatic
deflection. I think this is what oscilloscopes do.

I can see a nice, simple assembly of four plates replacing a yoke,
but I'd imagine you would need higher voltages to acheive decent
deflection. After all, oscilloscope tubes are long and skinny.
I think the nice part would be driving a high impedance instead of a
low one...

Is this possible or am I just dreaming? ;)

Thanks,
Frank