RE: New Vector Monitor Project: Deflection I & V Measurments

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 13:25:43 EST

> Nice! Now someone give this man a G-08 so we can see what their max
> frequency is. Im sure
> it isn't all that greater than the 6100 tho. From what I remember the G-08
> is the
> 'fastest' of the XY monitors so the replacement monitor should be designed
> to keep up with
> the Sega XY games as well?

There were some specs in at least one of the Atari vector monitor manuals
describing the input frequency range. I thought is was 7.5KHz, but I could
be wrong. It may have been in the B/W manual-- I seem to remember
"borrowing" that data point for color monitors. (Under the assumption that
since every color game I hooked up to a B/W looked fine, the B/W must be a
superset of the Color X/Y specs at least as far as deflection was
concerned.)

 From programming the Sega Multigame menu (using a WG6100 as a display) I
figured out that the WG6100 is capable of slewing about 1/2 of the screen
width "instantaneously". (Which makes sense, 'cause that's how the AVG
operates.) If you try to instantly position the beam any farther than 1/2
sceen the beam won't locate and stabilize fast enough. It's kind-of a gross
measure, but I'd guess the G-08 is capable of slewing about twice as fast as
the WG6100-- so maybe 10KHz working from Mendel's data?

-Clay