Cheap BW vector monitor

From: Dan Rasmussen <sscanf_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 14:41:09 EST

Hi Everyone,

I usually just ask for help on this list but I read it
every day and I actually learn something every now and
then (that is when I'm not totally clueless on the
subject)...

Anyway, all this talk of monitor redesigns had me
thinking about this thing I had in college. I copied
it from one in another dorm room (at UMass, Amherst
back in the early 80's). Anyway, they called it a
slatiscope, aparently named after its creator who had
long since dropped out. All it was was an old B&W tv
with the yoke hacked to take input from a stereo
through an amp. It made cool squiggles that gyrated
with the music. You could play with the amp to adjust
the squiggles and if you turned it all the way to one
channel, it looked an awful lot like my Tempest did
when I only had one axis working. It was rather
hypnotic, under the right circumstances.

Could a contraption like this do for a B&W vector
monitor substitute? I finally chucked the thing just
before we moved back to Mass a few years ago (and I
got into this infernal hobby), otherwise I would just
go and try it.

Next question: what does a vector game sound like if
you feed it through an audio amp?

Thanks for reading.

Dan Rasmussen

=====
------ replies to sscanf@yahoo.com ------

Anything that appears after this line is inserted by Yahoo.