Re: New Vector Monitor Project: Deflection I & V Measurments

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 15:00:30 EST

Be careful, now. What you are seeing are the frequency limitations due to the yoke
inductance versus amount of drive voltage available. The amplifier has to have a
fast slew rate to get the beam to deflect quickly.

For example let's say we need to move the beam from the center to a couple of inches
up to start a line draw. The amplifier has to swing hard and fast to the rail in
order to get the yoke to change current quickly, THEN it has to recover quickly and
precisely so the current doesn't overshoot or undershoot. If we didn't need the
slew rate I'd be tempted to just put an LM12CLK in there and have a one-chip
solution. Hmmm....anyone care to try one of those and see if it will work? Maybe
it will be fast enough.

Anyway, if you really want to measure the response of the amplifier, try it into a
resistive load (not the yoke).