Re: Q: Dedicated Major Havoc CPO Differences

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 14:40:10 EST

On Nov 11, 11:18am, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Subject: RE: Q: Dedicated Major Havoc CPO Differences
> > I would STRONGLY advise anyone who wants to weld something on their
> [...]
> > This is not something that could have been remedied by "proper" welding
> > as the guy who did it knows his stuff, and warned me it might happen
> > because of the heat. I wish I would have used some bondo instead...
> >
> I don't know about that... What I'd do would be to cut patch metal like
> Mark described, then drill the holes just like you're going to use rivets,
> but *don't* drill holes in the control panel. Using a wire welder you just
> puddle the metal up in the holes for a second (try not to burn through).
> Then the rest of the process is the same-- use the bondo, sand it down, etc.
>
> (Basically all you're doing is replacing the rivets with tack welds.)
> Another approach would be to just cut out a disc of metal that's maybe 1/16"
> smaller as the hole to patch and tack weld that in a few places to the
> control panel. Fill in the gap with bondo and sand.
>
> A spot welder or plasma welder would be better, but I don't know anyone with
> that in their garage. ;-) (instantaneous heat to just stitch the metal
> together.)

Took me a while to figure out that what Clay was pointing out was that it COULD
be done with careful welding. He's not discounting the technique I described
(what is what I thought he was doing the first time I read this, since he
typically discounts what I say ;-)). My solution was for those without welders
in their garages (pop rivetters sell for like $15 at just about any hardware
store).

Mark Jenison / __/ /_/ / / / | // | / |__ __/ _ /__ \ Sega/Gremlin
cig.mot.com /_/|_| /_/ /____/_/|_| Arcade Games
____________ The One and Only 4-player vector game ____________