RE: Q: Dedicated Major Havoc CPO Differences

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 21:09:42 EST

> Or don't drill holes at all and just run a 1/4 - 1/2" wire weld on each of
> the
> 4 sides....

Right-- I think that was what I was trying to get at on the the second half
of my suggestion. I'm assuming there's a circular hole someone cut for an
extra button-- just cut a round "slug" from another piece of metal (slightly
smaller than the hole diameter) drop it in the hole and just tack a few
points along the edge. Then bondo the gaps. I don't trust myself to hold
the bead that long to go all around the circle. ;-) If you needed to have
it really strong though your suggestion to go all around the edge is much
better...

> > A spot welder or plasma welder would be better, but I don't know anyone
> with
> > that in their garage. ;-) (instantaneous heat to just stitch the metal
> > together.)
>
> plasma welder?? Do you mean TIG?

I think so? Just a bunch of current in an arc that heats through the metals
and fuses them-- no wire or anything that I know of. Some car shops use
them on tail pipes I think. I believe it's relatively non-contact-- more
like a torch, but with very localized heating (not like a spot welder that
pinches the metal and "pops" with a blast of current?). I have a wire
welder that I entertain myself with, but I'm far from an expert on the rest.
Mostly pick it up from a couple guys that work for me that are into the
whole car-rebuilding thing...

-Clay