Well, I got my Tempest CPO overlay...

From: Andrew Wilson <atwilson_at_home.com>
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 13:26:27 EST

        This is the repro one from Steven Gregory at arcadeshop.com. I figured
I'd tell the list my thoughts about it. I haven't installed it yet, but I took
it down to the basement to compare it with the (assumedly original) overlay
that's already on my cabinet.

        The texture of the new repros are good - pretty much indistinguishable
from the original (my original is a little smoother, but that could just be due
to being worn from years of use).

        The match of the art (the big swirling tempest storm in the center of
the overlay and the beams that stretch out across the CPO) is very good. It
looks really nice, and I really couldn't distinguish it from the original.

        The color match seems good also, although my original is kinda grimy
and my basement isn't well lit, so it was hard to make a great comparison.

        The only major difference I could see were the fonts that were used
(basically the inexplicable choice to use a serif font for the text instead of
the sans-serif one on the original). There were some slight differences in the
line drawings of the enemies in the scoring chart (in particular, the swirly
spiker is much more swirly in the repro than in my original).

        All in all, I'm quite satisfied with it. You can see differences in a
detailed side-by-side comparison, but not otherwise. Anyone else have comments
about these repros?

                                Drew