Re: Cat Box on Ebay/Rat Box

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 18:49:28 EST

Kev wrote:
> Granted that would be a complete listing of signatures but it bypasses one of the time advantages of a well
> scripted signature list. A well scripted signature list will have you do the final stages of a section &
> then reference you to previous points in the circuit if there are problems. This takes some time to
> develop.

I think any good signature guide would have to be used in conjunction with the schematic
package and a little bit of knowledge. YOu can easily start at the end of a section with
both docs laying out in front of you. I was thinking that this would just be the Signature
"Big Book" for reference.
  I personally don't like 'generic' books that involve just following instructions to get
something fixed without the user actually 'thinking' about the process. Just imagine...
"Hey!! I just got my tempest board working, I have no clue how, I just followed the
directions in the book and replaced a chip. :-> "
  I think a nice addendum to the book (which maybe a bunch of us could write up a short
text) would be a 'troubleshooting procedures' section. For example for a vector game do a
section that talks about the major areas (clock, CPU, VGEN, I/O, POKEY, etc) and does a
short run-over how each of these sections interact with eachother and the likely order to
check them out... Clock, Reset, CPU, Data Lines, Address Lines, Address/Data Buffers, ROM,
RAM, VGGO, HALT, vector address... etc...
  But, then again, since I haven't put any effort into the book, whoever does do it, is
free to make their own dreams come true! ;-)

jess