linear pots in StarWars, etc...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 12:41:59 EST

(yeah, I'm a little behind in my e-mail...)

Just as an FYI, unless I'm mistaken-- the linear pots used in Star Wars are
simply set up as a voltage divider (conceptually like this):

      to A/D

I think you can actually use most any value from 1K to probably 100K without
problems. There's a current limit resistor too I believe, so you can
probably use any wattage value you can find. (The input to the A/D isn't
going to really take any current to speak of, so 2W, 10W, 1W are all
overkill.) Worst case there might be a couple other resistors to change to
get the bias right, but if anyone finds some really good linear
potentiometers cheap, even if they're "wrong" (10K 5W, 2K 1W, 50K 3W, etc.)
they're still probably usable. (Worst case a couple resistor changes.)

-Clay