swapping Battlezone Caberet monitors -> Asteroids table

From: Andy Welburn <andrew.welburn_at_cableol.co.uk>
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 01:07:14 EST

hi all..

just a quick ask around all you vectorheads to see if anybody's done this
thing before, and if there's any hints or other sentimental stories that
you'd like to unload on the list before i do the swap myself..

Thing is, i have 2 Battlezone caberet's, one complete, but damp damage to
cab. The other one is missing all boards and control panel. I intend on
moving over all bits to the cab without the damp damage, and the remaining
cab will be broken up, the monitor will be going into an asteroids cocktail
table which is devoid of a display unit :) the rest (the mini-marquee and
tank interior card) will probably go on my wall :)

now, the only set of boards i have are faulty, no vector generation, and
bleeps and blips indicating failed RAM and stuff.. The spot killer is on,
but did once start flashing on/off at which point there were some lines and
stuff expanding from the middle but that's about it.

So, i'm not too positive the monitor is working anyhow, but i want to know
if there's a quick way of getting some kind of visual indication on the
screen to at least give me a bit of hope. Or is in fact the brief lines i
saw good enough to assume the monitor is kind of ok? I am getting somebody
round to test some known working boards on it (and hopefully buy them from
him ;) but he has been meaning to come round for a couple of months now, and
i'm not too sure if he will actually come..

And the main point of course is, will the spare monitor go into the cocktail
asteroids without any kind of hacks needed? Are the connectors the same?

any thoughts appreciated, and would anybody be willing to take a faulty set
of BZ boards + cash in exchange for a nice working set? I thought about
shotgun replacement of the vector generation section by getting one of them
thar kits off eBay, but i'm a bit timid when it comes to the intracacies of
board repair.

I feel a bit stupid, i have a full complement of equipment, 20 mhz 'scope,
logic probe, logic pulser, multi-meter, soldering iron and a burning desire
to fix boards but have never had any formal training on electronics (apart
from microelectronics theory). I make the whole lot up as i go along, i
don't mind ruining the occasional JAMMA board while i'm trying to work out
how things work, but i do know that there are certain irreplaceable parts on
the BZ boards, and not being a vectorhead at heart, my 2 only vector games
(BattleZone and Asteroids) are going unplayed until i get the confidence to
look at them with something more than a rose-tinted maniac weilding a
soldering iron that i am :)

(BTW, i'm in the UK)

many thanks...

Andy.
Andy Welburn - Collector Of Fine Video Game Antiquities
http://www.willowsp.u-net.com/andy/
Atari Battlezone AVG and AUX Game Logic Boards