Re: WG6100 deflection board madness

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 23:12:57 EST

If you have a 'scope, you can test the outputs more safely by running the
monitor with the YOKE unplugged. This will present a no-load situation to
the output transistors and this will be a very low current even if there is
a problem. Thus no more fried transistors during testing. When you get good
deflection on the scope, then plug the yoke back in. DO NOT UNPLUG THE
OUTPUT TRANSISTORS EVER FOR A TEST!!! This will instantly destroy the
drivers...

If you are nervous about a no-load on the yoke, try a couple of 25 watt
light bulbs for the yoke. If one output is bad then the light will lite up,
but this time the load current will be under 1/4 amp, well within the
capacity of the output transistors...It might actually be an interesting
test fixture, now that I think about it, using two 25 watt lights. Someone
out there wanna try it before I get a chance to and report back. I am
curious what a running game would do with these lights in place of the
yoke...how bright, the flicker etc.hmmm if one used small laser/mirror
combos such as are used in the laser light shows one could PROJECT the
vector game on a wall...how about a six foot screen????Wow! This could be fun!

John :-#)#

  http://www.flippers.com