Re: DAC 80 - availability

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 12:18:19 EST

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Rodger Boots wrote:

> Who is the manufacturer on those DAC800's? I ran this through Part Miner and the
> only thing it came up with was Burr-Brown. On the Burr-Brown home page it is
> listed as a discontinued part, but they say that Insight Electronics (apparently
> where the discontinued parts go) has them---for $32.16 each in quantities less
> than 20! (By the way, the only version they had was the current-output version
> that will NOT work on Cinematronics. That doesn't mean that someone doesn't have
> the voltage output version, I just didn't find it.)
>
> Either you happened onto a VERY good price from a surplus dealer or you found
> another vendor. Who makes yours? I'm not pointing fingers or anything, just
> curious. Wish I could find a spec sheet to see if it really is the same part or
> not.

        Burr-Brown was the only manufacturer of those parts, as far as I
know.

        I found them at a surplus place, and they have the V suffix. I
don't expect everybody to sell them for that price, but they ARE out
there. Look around. That's all I'm saying.

> By the way, even though Burr-Brown lists the DAC800 as obsolete they still list
> the DAC80 as a current part. It's not the same part as what was used in the
> games, though (that was a hybrid, the newer ones are monolithic which reduces the
> price a lot), but it's a drop-in replacement. But it MUST have the -V ending and
> not a -I to work in the games.

        Like I said, BB is a sort of oddball little company (and one of
our chief competetors) and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they still
sell DAC80s. One of the reasons why they hang in there with their R-2R
DACs (when almost everybody else is using something more sophisticated) is
because they have a diverse product line -- A DAC for every little niche
market. I'm not sure who their distributors are, but they may be worth
checking out. If they're like our distributors, however, they'll probably
only deal in somewhat large quantities. They may even give samples if you
only need a few.

Joe

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760