Re: DAC 80 - availability

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 11:24:01 EST

Who is the manufacturer on those DAC800's? I ran this through Part Miner and the
only thing it came up with was Burr-Brown. On the Burr-Brown home page it is
listed as a discontinued part, but they say that Insight Electronics (apparently
where the discontinued parts go) has them---for $32.16 each in quantities less
than 20! (By the way, the only version they had was the current-output version
that will NOT work on Cinematronics. That doesn't mean that someone doesn't have
the voltage output version, I just didn't find it.)

Either you happened onto a VERY good price from a surplus dealer or you found
another vendor. Who makes yours? I'm not pointing fingers or anything, just
curious. Wish I could find a spec sheet to see if it really is the same part or
not.

By the way, even though Burr-Brown lists the DAC800 as obsolete they still list
the DAC80 as a current part. It's not the same part as what was used in the
games, though (that was a hybrid, the newer ones are monolithic which reduces the
price a lot), but it's a drop-in replacement. But it MUST have the -V ending and
not a -I to work in the games.