RE: Selling Items on VL

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 20:41:13 EST

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, first anme last name wrote:

> I understand the consensus that this list could go haywire if FS posts are
> allowed, but I for one kind of miss them. Can't we have some sort of
> compromise on this issue? Like maybe 1 day a month when we can list items
> for sale? Otherwise, they just all go to eBay and minimise one of the
> benefits of being on this list. Comments?

        Wow, I log off to actually do some work, and look what happens!

        First of all,"First anme last name," I'm not sure how or why you
"miss" for sale posts, because they were NEVER really allowed.

        NOW, onto the forever tricky subject of for sale posts on
vectorlist......I want the list to remain dedicated to technical
discussions about vector-based arcade games. I still believe that
minimizing the amount of for sale traffic is necessary to maintain
a good SNR. There are plenty of places to find stuff for sale --
this doesn't have to be one of them. Nevertheless, most people
know that just about any for sale post has been tolerated in the past,
and some have taken advantage of this.

        I think Clay's intentions were good, but I think that his
post was still not appropriate for the list......but not by much. The
problem is, and has always been, that there is no real "quantitative"
way to define what is and what isn't appropriate for the list. Let's
leave it at this: If you are thinking of advertising something on this
list, and there is any doubt in your mind as to whether or not it is
appropriate, DON'T post it, because it's probably not appropriate.

        In the past, the participants of this list have done a good job
of keeping themselves in check, and policing themselves, and I'd like it
to stay that way. However, if I feel that an SNR problem is developing
due to excessive for sale traffic, I will probably make the list so that
it is retro/robo moderated. Essentially what this means is that all posts
are approved by default, but that a list of "problem" posters can be
made that have to be moderated first.

        If you were expecting any major words of wisdom, or any serious
policy change, I'm sorry to disappoint you. Let's just get back to
"business" as usual, and try and keep it on topic.

Thanks,

Joe

P.S. If you're wondering why I used "I" a lot, instead of "we" (i.e. Paul
and I are supposed to be co-owners of the list,) as far as I can tell,
Paul is still having some problems with his email account, and is not
getting list messages. So, for the meantime, I guess it's just me running
the show -- Muhahahahahaha ;-)

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760