Re: Selling Items on VL

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 15:09:47 EST

...[talk of the FS list]...
> I was actually thinking of doing exactly that. Initially, I would
> subscribe everybody who is subscribed to the vectorlist, and people who
> want to could unsubscribe at their leisure.
>
> In that case, the vectorlist policy would be changed to a more
> objective, "No For Sale/WTB. Period."
>
> Opinions?

BAD BAD BAD. That's my opinion.

The objective is to keep general commerce off the list, which has been
done so far. Remember, there are collectors here who buy and sell a LOT
of games, but do it through RGVAC or eBay or whatever. Those are the
posts we don't want here (and generally don't get). I'm willing to read
a "special" FS post from time to time. I did think the desoldering
stuff was a little far off, but I could see the connection (in fact I
forwarded it to one of our techs). The CPOs are perfectly welcome by me,
that guy is doing restoration and offering a one-time service to people on
the list. If he desided to open a CPO reproduction business he'll certainly
be asked not to post FS here.
  Problem: Someone makes a new multigame/vector generator/CPO/whatever...
The discussion of how to do that is certainly welcome here, but when
the design is done they need to post something to get an idea what the
demand will be - that's like a pre-FS post? And when they're ready to
take orders that's a FS post (and welcome at that). What I don't want to
see is someone posting here about a FS post somewhere else :-( an indirect
FS post is still a FS post, and without having them in some form I would
not have a Tempest MG.
  What we really need is a ban on list policy discussions unless they are
initiated by the list owner. And leave it up to him to notify people when
they are being bad. This doesn't prevent you from sending a message to
the list owner directly to complain, but it keeps the discussion off
the list. I think this thread is FAR FAR FAR worse in my mailbox than
a couple of FS posts.

BTW, a digest each day will slow down discussions and may actually increase
the volume of messages - I try not to answer questions that someone else
gets to first. I was going to let this thread die without comment, but
the serious talk of a policy change made me speak up.

Thanks for asking for an opinion ;-|

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.