Re: Something Interesting

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 15:46:32 EST

> > Let's talk about something interesting, like modifying the deflection
> > on the $90 Radio Shack Audio Motion Laser I just bought to make
> > it work for Star Wars!
>
> What's that? You put in stereo audio and it does an XY display or what?
> Do I need to stop by the store and see one? Is there some modulation of
> the brightness? Do tell. We won't start modifying until we know what you
> found :-)

Those things just take a line level audio input and create lissajous (sp?)
patterns, even if you could modify it to display XY, it doesnt have
intensity control, and couldnt keep up.

Those radio shack ones look like they are made by American DJ (AM DJ calls
it the "Black Widow"). They go on sale all the time at some music places
for $19 (I bought one at that price).. Im sure they arent selling them at
a loss, so if they can take 3/4 of the price off you can surely expect it
NOT to be capable of doing anything cool :>

When I was setting up a color laser platform (5w laser) to play tempest
the laser projectionist wasnt even sure if it could keep up (at the 180'
screen size we were planning to project at), and that thing had $3000
galvos in it.

Jeff