Trakball opto question...

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 15:07:46 EST

...the good news is that I'm using a nice glowing-orange trakball from
a Crystal Castles to play Quantum on my multi-game FrankenCabinet...

...the bad news is that I can only move in one direction, due to a faulty
opto on one of the trakball axes.

The usual opto-board on a trakball or Tempest spinner is a little thing
about an 1.25" square, with an 8-pin opto device with the pins in a
"smiley-face" configuration, like so:

   * *
     * *

   * *
     * *

The opto-boards on the trakball from Crystal Castles is a larger thing,
about 2.5" square, and its 8-pin opto device hasn opto device has its
pins lined up in a standard PC-mount .300" DIP package:

       ****

       ****

Sadly, the dead opto has no identifying markers on it whatsoever, so
it's kinda hard for me to know what to replace it with. Anyone with
CC schematics who can point me in the direction of a part number, (or
a spare opto board if you've got a damaged-beyond-repair trakball :)
thanx in advance.

Thanx,
Doug.

--