Re: Bad monitor discharge instructions

From: Mark Spaeth <mspaeth_at_arcade.ne.mediaone.net>
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 11:03:03 EST

> I guess what I was looking for was the number of Joules stored in the tube.
> So are we talking one Joule or how many?
>
> As for being discharged, well, the tube had been sitting under the bench
> for about one year with no chassis attached. Rather discharged I think, but
> I did short it out with a jumper for a minute to be real safe...meters
> handle 500VDC on there cap analyzing function-at least this meter does...

As I said before, Capacitors store charge (Coulombs), not Energy (Joules)...
Of course the charge in the tube does carry energy, so:

Q = C * V
V = E / Q

so E = Q * V = C * V^2...

So assuming your .001 F measurement is correct, and using V=20,000
E = 400,000J Hmmm... that'll keep you warm at night...