Re: Gotta love the vector list...

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 13:48:24 EST

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Zonn wrote:

> >> People will fall all over themselves to calculate the energy stored in
> >> a charged CRT, or to critique the pricing of an obsolete DAC part, but nobody
> >> could spend 10 secs to tell me whether you can rotate a Tempest monitor
> >> without a cabinet mod or unbolting it from the wooden frame.
> >
> >Yes, you have to unbolt it.
>
> And you'll have to modify the wooden frame to get it to fit. ;^)

But as long as you don't remove the metal band around the monitor
faceplate, you should be fine. You won't even have to discharge
the monitor to the +5V rail of the game board!

ObCapacitorGeekage:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/9561/cap.html

0.4kJ sounds right for a monitor. If it were 400kJ, you'd *know*
when you discharged it across a spark gap. So would everyone within
several hundred feet :-)

ObVids:
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/surge.html

...as long as I'm in a high-voltage mood, here's an innovative way of
"blowing EPROMs" :-)

Later,
Doug.

--