AM6012 DAC replacement (Tempest)???

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 13:11:04 EST

Hello all,

I was just looking over some of my non-working Tempest boards and I
found one that doesn't have AM6012 dac's. Instead of the AM6012 dacs at
locations A10 and F10 on the main board, those slots are unpopulated and
there are two MC3410CL motorola chips at locations B10 and E10. The
motorola chips are 16 pin, with a gold top and legs, whereas the
AM6012's on my other boards are 20 pin. The rest of the chips in this
section of the board appear identical to my other boards. Might these
motorola chips be a replacement for the AM6012's on my other boards? I
am hoping that they might be easier to find and cheaper. Per review of
Philips website the MC3410C series are 10-bit Multiplying
Digital-to-Analog Converters. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks/Happy Holidays!

Noel