Vectors OS - was Atari Power supplies

From: Paul Sommers <Paul.Sommers_at_cwo.com.au>
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 15:54:25 EST

Tek,

The problem is the same in Australia.

I have an Asteroids in almost mint condition that I paid $900US for. Price
is not the issue!!! Getting one is.

In two years of searching I have not been able to find a color vector. There
is a Star Wars in the Blue Mountains on it's last legs as it is running 12
hours per day. God knows what they've done to keep it going but it's looking
pretty sick. The tech has said he has replaced the flyback about 5 times now
- when I asked him with what as the parts a scarce he just said "With a
compatible flyback. It's just a flyback"

Well, it's not compatible - you should see the weird stuff that's happening
on the screen. Particularly the Death Star explosion - looks like the CRT is
about to shatter

And another collector I know has a Star Wars.

There was one for sale in our Trading Post about 18 months ago - he wanted
$1000US for it and as I had done a great job in finding some rare stuff by
hunting in the country I thought "Nah! Too expensive!" and I have kicked
myself ever since.

After 18 months of looking I would pay $2000US for one. Seriously!!!!

Apart from the odd Asteroids - every single piece of vector stuff was junked
in the 80's.

I'm now looking at shipping stuff from the US. But it's hard - every cab has
a dfifferent weight, shape and location, and the time it takes to get a
quote from a shipping company seems to be about 2 weeks and it's gone.

Living in the US would be wonderful for me. Just on a short visit earlier
this year I saw al sorts of classics still on location and earning money -
and I wasn't even looking - I just ran upon them.

When you guys have Thanksgiving next year - REALLY give thanks!!!

Cheers
MacMan