Re: Vectors OS - was Atari Power supplies

From: Tek <mypearl_at_dds.nl>
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 16:42:38 EST

> Paul Sommers wrote:
>
> Tek,
>
> The problem is the same in Australia.
>
> I have an Asteroids in almost mint condition that I paid $900US for. Price is
> not the issue!!! Getting one is.

Well, you must have a lot of money then there in Australia - I wouldn't-couldn't
pay that much for 'just' an asteroids... But on the other hand I can imagine how
rare these are overhere.
Are you even sure they work upside-down? :)

I also only have all the guts of Tempest, ESB and Starwars. Cabinets are harder
to find in Holland.

> In two years of searching I have not been able to find a color vector. There
> is a Star Wars in the Blue Mountains on it's last legs as it is running 12
> hours per day. God knows what they've done to keep it going but it's looking
> pretty sick. The tech has said he has replaced the flyback about 5 times now -
> when I asked him with what as the parts a scarce he just said "With a
> compatible flyback. It's just a flyback"

Well hell it is - every flyback provides different secundairy set of supplies -
If he can get replacements so easy, better find out which they were!

But doesn't he want to sell, such an old machine, I don't think he really
could't care less to sell if he keeps it running for 12 h/day.

> Well, it's not compatible - you should see the weird stuff that's happening on
> the screen. Particularly the Death Star explosion - looks like the CRT is
> about to shatter
>
> And another collector I know has a Star Wars.
>
> There was one for sale in our Trading Post about 18 months ago - he wanted
> $1000US for it and as I had done a great job in finding some rare stuff by
> hunting in the country I thought "Nah! Too expensive!" and I have kicked
> myself ever since.
>
> After 18 months of looking I would pay $2000US for one. Seriously!!!!

Yeah right. Would you pay THAT much? It better be a f*cking MINT one then...

> Apart from the odd Asteroids - every single piece of vector stuff was junked
> in the 80's.
>
> I'm now looking at shipping stuff from the US. But it's hard - every cab has a
> dfifferent weight, shape and location, and the time it takes to get a quote
> from a shipping company seems to be about 2 weeks and it's gone.

A friesn of mine - the biggest collector in Holland - ships stuff on a regular
base to the USA. He says it is fairly ease. He buys the games in the same region
of the US, stashes them somewhere in a warehouse untill he has a few which then
can be shipped simultaneously on one pallet. Sending four on one pallet is not
much more expensive than a single one.

> Living in the US would be wonderful for me. Just on a short visit earlier this
> year I saw al sorts of classics still on location and earning money - and I
> wasn't even looking - I just ran upon them.
>
> When you guys have Thanksgiving next year - REALLY give thanks!!!

Well,be a rolemodel - :)

Cya !