RE: Rebuilding the PCB for a vector game

From: Ozdemir, Steven S, GOVMK <sozdemir_at_att.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 13:57:21 EST

G'day folks,

As I've said before, the closest I've gotten to remanufacturing PCB's is an
attempt to squish the Cinematronics motherboard (composed of solely 7400
series IC's and digital interfaces) into an FPGA with alot of I/O pins. As
you've said below, I might put add a large EPROM and modern RAM to the
design.

With FPGA's, you get the feeling that "software concepts" of registers,
flops and gate arrays are replacing what use to be hardware ICs. My hope
would be that these concepts would still be supported five years from now.
If we replace old hardware with modern hardware, I fear that five years from
now we'd be back to replacing discontinued parts and laying out the board on
new PCBs again (instead of on a schematic capture program).

            Steve Ozdemir
            sozdemir@att.com

ps - To be fair, development on a FPGA has its own set of problems. If
propogation of signals across the FPGA is not fast enough, then you have to
resort to simulation and redesign accordingly. Also, as software packages
are upgraded, you have to repeatedly import your design (and possibly run
simulations again in the worst case). So I guess just like with hardware,
there's a certain amount of maintanence that has to be performed.