Re: Nolan Bushnell on ZDTV

From: Brian Deuel <bdeuel_at_pathwaynet.com>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 10:17:20 EST

At 09:10 AM 1/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
> > He doesn't claim to have actually written the code for Pong, he only
>claims
> > to have created the idea for Pong, and how it should play and feel. There
> >
>He did write the code for Pong. That was his version of the game. The idea
>for Pong was created by someone 30 years earlier. A prototype was working
>by the early 60's, and he saw it at a trade show, if I remember correctly.
>I'll dig out my stuff and post the inventors name and pertinent details.
>Nolan used someone else's idea. That is why he was sued and paid royalties.

No one wrote code for Pong. Pong didn't HAVE any code. It was a state
machine made up of TTL logic that generated waveforms to put the game on
the monitor. Like Rodger said, this was 3-4 years before the first
microprocessor games were made, using the 8080. All game up to this point
were made pretty much the same way.

Not to spam my site, but read the Al Alcorn interview on my page for more
information about Pong.