Re: Malibu

From: Trollian <XY-Man_at_pyramidm.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 19:19:51 EST

In article <200001082329.PAA26937@spies.com>, Al Kossow <aek@spies.com>
writes
>"Anyone ever heard of an Atari prototype called Malibu? "
>
>Yup.. It was a vector racing game. Anything turn up from it?

Well about 6 weeks ago I cleared out what I wanted from the old Atari
factory in Tipperary. :)
It was taken over about 3 years ago by Namco but was finally sold to a
non video related company Dec 1st.
Amongst the large amount of stuff I got was the entire field service
files going back 20 years. It included so much stuff (paperwork -
manuals, schematics, Memos, ECN's, etc ) I am only just scratching the
surface but have unearthed very serious stuff indeed so far.
I have found the original schematics of the Malibu board which shows
audio signal names which indicated to me it was some sort of driving
game. I also have recovered literally from the trash about 4 shoeboxes
of original Atari roms. I may unearth something amongst them!
Other stuff which may be of great interest I do not know if they already
archived include Full files/descriptions of various vector games' AVG's
mostly handwritten by the designers describing full operation of the
State machines with op=codes, timing diagrams etc etc.

Info overload here in Manchester....too much to read :(

For instance I have the original game concept description (about 8 text
pages) from Dave Theurer of Aliens.....Vortex......Tempest.
A few production quantities have been noted....eg I can confirm the
rumours that exactly 500 Quantums were built. How about the fact that
Atari at one stage considered licencing Aztarac from Centuri!
Also a lot of non vector stuff like schematics for Maze Invaders, facts
like Roadrunner was originally going to be a laserdisc game, There was a
followup conversion kit for Firefox already planned. How about an Anti
Gravity game which was being worked on.
Hardwarewise I got a full proto game called Metal Maniax and the
prototype S1 cab. 2x PAT9000's another CAT box with pods, ALL the
service parts (460 drawers full) going back 20 years (including PAL's)
60 NOS laserdiscs etc, etc
In all 2 full carloads of stuff and 4 pallets.

Going back to the vector data, I don't mind putting it upon my site but
it would be useful to know what Atari originated stuff is already
archived so I don't repeat. I know a lot of stuff has been reverse
engineered but this stuff is as such 'from the horse's mouth'
So if anyone could tell me, it could save me a lot of time as I don't
have much spare :(

Thanks

--
XY-Man (U.K)