RE: Farewell to UT's vectorlist

From: Dan Rasmussen <sscanf_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 13:29:04 EST

Hi all,

You rarely hear from me but,

I have always been in favor of vector related items
for sale on this list (and I voted against splitting
FS out of RGVAC.... not that I read RGVAC any more).

I think the FS ground rules are straight forward:
Vector related only, No ebay/auction, mark FS posts
with a "FS" in the subject line. Violaters will be
unsubscribed by our benevolent dictator. Gouging will
be identified by the peanut gallery.

So where's this new list? I sent my subscription a
while ago but no answer. I'll be patient....

Dan R.

--- "Ozdemir, Steven S, GOVMK" <sozdemir@att.com>
wrote:
> G'day Paul, Joe, Neil and folks,
>
> Many thanks to the vectorlist owners for the time
> and effort that they've
> put in through the years! I've always appreciated
> their focus on this
> forum's S/N ratio. If you don't want to read my
> opinions on vectorlist
> policy (before it's effectively transferred to
> Neil), stop reading now.
>
> Commerce is a slippery slope with Clay/Roy at the
> top and Ebayer's at the
> bottom. We'd all like to draw a line somewhere in
> between, but some of us
> will be caught below this line and not be able to
> post our FS. Then the
> complaints start from the people below the line
> about how "all sellers
> should be equal". Finally, list policy must be
> reexamined (at great cost in
> time to the list owners), and either the line is
> redrawn or the list owners
> give up.
>
> The only compromise that I can see is stating "all
> sellers are _NOT_ equal
> on this list." Clay and Roy are special, and if
> some new seller would like
> to be put in that group then go through some
> democratic and automatic
> process. The same process could be used to remove
> special sellers that
> start spamming (as defined by the general consensus
> of the list readers).
>
> This solution should prevent the list owner from
> spending large amounts of
> time while allowing the community to start part way
> down the slippery slope
> of commerce. Unfortunately, as in any democracy,
> the list reader's must
> participate (say in an semi-annual review of special
> sellers?) for this to
> be a success.
>
> Steve Ozdemir
> sozdemir@att.com
>
> ps - Participation of list readers would be ensured
> if unreturned votes in
> the semi-annual election of "special sellers"
> resulted in dropping people
> from the list.
>
> Also, clearly a large number of Ebayers could show
> up and make a mockery of
> the "special sellers" list. That's when the list
> owner shows up and redraws
> the line emphasizing that in rare circumstances
> email lists are not a true
> democracy and won't be subject to that kind of
> abuse.

=====
------ replies to sscanf@yahoo.com ------

Anything that appears after this line is inserted by Yahoo.