Re: Battlezone repair question

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 16:29:06 EST

Well a normal functioning BZ board will not generate RAM tones unless it finds
one that does not pass it's test. The reason they tell you to check the RAM
at Nn is that the actual RAM test needs functioning RAM in order to work
properly. They are assuming that if your game is not working and no tones
are generated, then that first RAM must be bad. The problem is that, there
are lots of other reasons why the game may not get past the self test.

If your game is just dead (no sound, no video) then you have to basically start
troubleshooting the entire CPU circuit. A basic flowchart would be...

Verify Power Supplies
Verify Reset Line
Check Clock Lines
Look for 'constant' data or address lines (this takes experience)
Look for funny data buffers (LS245's)
Verify each address and data line between the CPU, buffers, High ROM and RAM.

the Self test can run with only the RAM, the uppermost ROM (addresswise) and
functional hardware (vector etc). Try taking out all unnecessary CPU ROM in case you have
a shorted address or data line on one of them. AFAIK, the self test screen will even come
up find if you take off the AUX board (but you will have a mathbox error).

Troubleshooting CPU problems can be tricky even with a lot of experience. That is why lots
of people around here are finding the Fluke/CAT/SA boxes extremely helpful. They will
eliminate many of the problems that are the most difficult to repair with just a logic
probe and a VOM! :-)

I think Nick Sayer had a Tempest troubleshooting page that sort of applies to BZ, the
theory is at least the same, none of the pinouts are tho.

jess