Re: Signature Analysis guides

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 18:58:53 EST

> Joe and Kev I figured that the best way to learn was to dive and have
> a bash. I have guides for Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe,
> Battlezone, Tempest (Missile Command and Centipede but they won't be
> of any interest to anyone here). The signatures will apply to the
> HP5004A only (may apply to other HP models but definately not CAT or
> Fluke). The guides will cover what I would call the 'front end'
> section of the boards, ROMs (vector and program), address buffers,
> address decoders, data buffers (vector and program), clock circuit
> (maybe), partial VG address selector and VG RAM controls. I won't be
> the answer to all your problems but it might be a help.
>
> If anyone is interested then let me know and I'll transfer it from my
> handwritten scrawl into Word or something.

Tom McClintock and I each recently picked up a 5004a. I think I can
speak for Tom in stating that we would both be *extremely* interested in
signature analysis guides for all the games mentioned including raster
(*especially* Tempest)! Thanks!! :-)

However, I thought we had concluded during a previous discussion of
signature analysis that analyzers other than a Cat Box (eg, 5004a and
Kurz-kasch) should use the exact same guides that Atari created for the
cat box (eg, the Tempest Troubleshooting Guide). Have you determined
that these other analyzers do not produce the same signatures as a Cat
Box? If that's the case then I am going to have to kick myself
repeatedly, cause I let a fully working Cat Box with Z80 pod slip
through my fingers just last night! :-(

Thanks again!

Noel Johnson