Re: Signature Analysis guides

From: Mark E Davidson <Burbs1_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 22:34:11 EST
Count me in... My HP 5004 is jut itching to get used

-=Mark=-

Peter Fyfe wrote:

 Dear all, Given Joel's problems with his BZ, I have made up some signature analysis guides for some of the vector (and raster) Atari games.  I pretty much knew nothing of SA when I started but with some help from Joe and Kev I figured that the best way to learn was to dive and have a bash.  I have guides for Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, Tempest (Missile Command and Centipede but they won't be of any interest to anyone here).  The signatures will apply to the HP5004A only (may apply to other HP models but definately not CAT or Fluke).  The guides will cover what I would call the 'front end' section of the boards, ROMs (vector and program), address buffers, address decoders, data buffers (vector and program), clock circuit (maybe), partial VG address selector and VG RAM controls.  I won't be the answer to all your problems but it might be a help. If anyone is interested then let me know and I'll transfer it from my handwritten scrawl into Word or something. Just as an extra point that I think Clay might have said already.  I find that a huge problem with all these old Atari boards is sockets.  If your starting out repairing one of these boards then I'd advise you to remove all the ROM sockets and clean the legs.  SA is a good way of finding which sockets are making a poor contact. Happy repairing Peter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ** To UNSUBSCRIBE from vectorlist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the ** message body to vectorlist-request@synthcom.com. Please direct other ** questions, comments, or problems to neil@synthcom.com. Received on Thu Jan 13 19:52:45 2000