Vector melt down and repair

From: jason Milsom <MILSOM44_at_webtv.net>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 12:30:15 EST

  The other day I switched on my Black Widow only to hear a lot of
arcing followed shortly by a bad smell (never a good sign). Close
inspection revealed the monitors HV transformer had arced through the
insulation and was shorting to chassis ground. Before I dismissed it as
a goner, and on the advice of my friend and local monitor expert James
Sweet, I filled in the large molten hole with silicone glue. It had
several other smaller cracks also so I covered all those with glue too.
It Works!!!

   The game is in my garage where it was only 40 degrees or so at the
time. I think the rapid expansion of the insulator caused it to crack. I
have noticed before that many games just fail to work properly when it
gets below 50 or so. I know you're supposed to let them warm up before
plugging them in. But that means I can't play with most of my collection
until spring!!!! Waaahhh.

Jason Milsom

http://community.webtv.net/MILSOM44/MilsomsPuband