Re: Asteroids Deluxe Repair Story Part 2

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 00:54:58 EST

Actually, in Ast Dlx, the black light doesn't "see" the tube at all. There
is wood blocking any direct light and the mirror is sort of tinted since it
is a mirror. I guess I could try reversing it to see if it helps any, but
I think I may have tried that back when I cleaned everything. I was
thinking that maybe the light was just too strong, or that having a "real"
black black-light (as opposed to the white black-lights) may have made a
difference. Did the game have this affect when it was new?

The ultraviolet-blocking plastic is an interesting idea. It does have a
sheet of blue translucent plastic there already, but I'm guessing that was
only to change the color of the vectors. Any idea where one would be able
to buy the ultraviolet stuff? This game would look so much better if the
tube wasn't superimposed on the starfield.

Thanks for the insight. I'll let everyone know if it does the trick.

Jon

At 09:33 PM 1/23/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Yes, blacklight will make the phosphors glow. They would REALLY be
glowing if
>it weren't for the thick glass of the CRT (glass attenuates ultraviolet
light,
>if you need to pass ultraviolet light with little attenuation you use quartz
>instead of glass). Usually the black light doesn't shine on the tube
directly,
>it's usually on the other side of a mirror (which absorbs even more of the
>ultraviolet, especially if it's smoked glass like many of the Atari games
use).

>If you need to lessen the effect more you might try a sheet of
>ultraviolet-blocking plastic (such as is applied to house windows to keep out
>the ultraviolet part of sunshine) over the mirror or CRT surface.

[snip]