RE: RE: Space Wars

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_ghanbari.com>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 14:01:47 EST

> I guess I would ask "Why are you doing segment checking on the ships?". I
> would think if the ships met via bounding box check, that both are
> probably destroyed. What does it buy you to do this granularity of
> checking? And is it worth it to have to produce an entire piece of
> hardware for it?

If I recall Space Wars, each ship effectively had 3 bounding boxes:

1 long rectangle for the core of the ship
2 small squares for the back corners of the ship

If you hit the long rectangle, you died

If you hit one of the small squares, the ship lost that "engine"

I think that's what the goal is for this project.

However, I think it might be better to rephrase your question to be "what
other cool things could you do with this sort of hardware?"

Some suggestions:

General purpose vector mathbox (finally get vector Return of the Jedi and
perhaps pod racing [Bonus points for swinging wide and taking out Jar Jar]
;-)

Larger ships with "shield" levels for each segment (eg, three hits required
to knock out a segment, resulting in death or loss of function [thrust, fire
power, maneuverability, etc.])

Practice for Clay to motivate the next hardware hack ;-)

Regardless, I think this stuff is very cool and I'm certainly looking
forward to seeing the result.

Ray