RE: RE: Space Wars

From: Mark A. Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 11:14:32 EST

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, jeff hendrix wrote:

> The problem is when both ships get within each others bounding boxes. Then I
> have to check each segment of the first ship against each segment of the
> second ship. I originally had 9 and 11 segments for a total of 99 checks and
> each check requires several multiplies, and since the 6502 doesn't have a
> multiply, it takes several hundred lines of instruction to do each check.
> (I've since cut the bounding segments down to 6 and 8, it's not as accurate,
> but it's a little faster, but still not fast enough)

I guess I would ask "Why are you doing segment checking on the ships?". I
would think if the ships met via bounding box check, that both are
probably destroyed. What does it buy you to do this granularity of
checking? And is it worth it to have to produce an entire piece of
hardware for it?

Just curious...

--
Mark Jenison