Re: RE: Space Wars

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:00:58 EST

WDC does sell several versions of "6502" in surface mount packages. If you go to
www.6502.org you will find one place that has a 6502 VHDL library that includes
both multiply and multiply-and-accumulate functions that execute in ONE CLOCK
CYCLE! Not sure what PGA these would fit into. WDC has libraries that will run at
14 MHz (yeah right, just try to find memory to keep up with THAT) in a variety of
PGA chips.

No one bothers to give prices though---probably one of those "if you have to
ask...." things.

Zonn wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2000 19:18:20 PST, "Clay Cowgill" <vector_clay@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>I was told by a distributor at the last company I worked at (about a year
> >>ago)
> >>that the two highest selling CPU's (and their derivatives) are the 6502 and
> >>Z80.
> >
> >I believe that. If you count the Z-8, Z-180 and derivatives the Z-80 is
> >probably king of the hill by itself even. I think the 6502 is mostly used
> >as a core now-a-days though. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw just a
> >plain "6502" in something. I don't think I've *ever* seen one in surface
> >mount.
>
> True, and I'm sure that's what he meant.
>
> >>The same guy told me that WDC supposedly has a VHDL core for the 6502 that
> >>runs in excess of 150mhz. Would that be fast enough? ;^)
> >
> >Probably not... ;-) You'd have to add a bunch of zero-wait on-chip RAM to
> >copy the code into to keep from being bogged down by memory waits. (That was
> >a big problem with the C3900 and the like-- a 56MHz 6502 needs data pretty
> >quick. We ran with 45ns FlashROM and still had external wait-states. Our
> >snazzy modems [SupraSonic] copied everything into 12ns SRAM and ran with no
> >external wait cycles to get better compression on the V.42bis engine.)
>
> Yeah, I thought the same thing, it could be that it had internal SRAM (like the
> Scenix), but more likely just "sales" talk. ;^)
>
> -Zonn

Windows:
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch for an