Re: RE: Space Wars

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:05:44 EST

TMS320C50s are relatively cheap and have serious horsepower. You might even get
one to brute-force vector drawing.

I can just see it now, postscript in and vector out. Next thing you know we'll
have smoothly bent lines courtesy of cubic splines!

(I'm going back under the rock now where I'll be safe from the answer to THAT).

Paul Kahler wrote:

> > >I too am wondering why a co-processor is needed. To say "he's doing real"
> > >hard stuff doesn't justify adding a co-processor. Just don't do such an
> > >elaborate collision detection. Here's a suggestion:
> >
> > No offense intended, but you're kind-of missing the point. ;-) Think big
> > picture: We're trying to build a platform that just plugs into a Space
> > Duel/Gravitar that will encourage people to write new games for the system
> > hardware and sell them on little "cartridges" that plug into some slots on
> > the board. Kinda like a Vector Neo-Geo if you will...
>
> No offense taken, and none intended in the following. If you're thinking
> "big picture" then Scenix shouldn't even come to mind. At least drop a
> DSP on there. Or better yet, a power PC of some sort. Anything 32bit
> in the 10s of MHz should have faster math than a Scenix. BTW I hope
> you were at least going to provide a way for the 6502 to flash the
> coprocessor :-)
>
> I like the cart idea and I think those processors are neat, but lets be
> realistic here. I'm not going to modify my Space Duel to add in a 21st
> century 8 bit processor with 128 bytes of RAM to use as a collision
> detector :-) BTW, a fast 16 or 32 bitter could probably emulate the 6502
> and the Cinematronics processor.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
> --
> ___ __ _ _ _
> | \ / \ | | | || | phkahler@oakland.edu Engineer/Programmer
> | _/| || || |_| || |__ " What makes someone care so much?
> |_| |_||_| \___/ |____) for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.

Windows:
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch for an