Re: RE: Space Wars

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 09:51:32 EST

> >"big picture" then Scenix shouldn't even come to mind. At least drop a
> >DSP on there. Or better yet, a power PC of some sort. Anything 32bit
> >in the 10s of MHz should have faster math than a Scenix.
>
> Ewwwwww... Too many address/data lines, external program storage required,
>
> True, but in reality we're stuck with "what might actually get done" and
> "what's good enough". I've proven to myself that people can be trusted to
> remove a 6502 and some EPROMs and plug in a daughtercard in their place.

Actually we've been using the MPC555 at work - it's an embeded PowerPC
with 128K (or more?) of flash and some on board RAM and peripherals and
stuff. Problem is the PGA package and the cost of the dev tools :-( We
use DSPs that are whole systems on a chip too. The big truth is what you
said about "what might actally get done" :-) :-) getting back to reality
I think the PCI vector generator is the best development platform, but
I'd still love a SD/Gravitar/etc multigame of similar complexity as the
Tempest MG.

Thanks,
|_| |_||_| \___/ |____) for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.