Re: Vector "chatter"

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 15:25:10 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:12:39 PST, you wrote:

>I was testing a bunch of my little AVG Chip replacements last night (yes,
>they're finally done Chris!) and got to thinking...
>
>What am I actually *hearing* that makes that familiar "vector chatter" we
>all know and love? Is it little micro-movements of the windings in the
>yoke? Electrons smacking into the aperture grill? (j/k on the last one...
>;-)

Rodger Boots is probably the one to ask, but I believe the core itself is
slightly deformed as you apply more or less of a magnetic field across it.
(The core in this case would be the yoke's core.)

It's the same thing that causes flybacks to squeal. The term "magnestriction"
or something similar comes to mind, as the name for this phenomena.

-Zonn