RE: Dedicated MH Roller Replacement - Finished.

From: James Marous <JMarous_at_midmark.com>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 15:10:00 EST

Very, very cool! Feeling a little like a proud parent right now :-)

To answer a couple questions: I did buy new bearings for mine, but they
are identical to the ones used in the Centipede type mini trakball. The
McMaster-Carr Part # is: 57177K38 and are $5 each. There are probably
cheaper bearings available, if you want to try and find something, the
dimensions you need are 0.250 ID, 0.625 OD and 0.196 width.

I did make provisions for a light, there is a 3/4" hole in the base for a
bulb to shine through. I have not yet wired mine up. The only problem
might be that the base is not completely enclosed. This is easy to fix,
either with a sheetmetal enclosure or just temporarily with cardboard. I
can model up some side panels if anyone is really interested. The interior
surfaces of the roller might also need to be painted black, not sure if
having reflective surfaces in there would hurt or not.

The roller studs were just standard #8 carriage bolts that I had lying
around. I just polished the heads and coated them with some liquid teflon.

Let me know the details of how your prototype went together. The prints you
had contained some minor tweaks of the first prototype.

If you do a production run, lmk... I might buy one just to see how it turned
out.

                        James