Re: BU406 vs. BU406D

From: Matthew Sell <msell_at_ontimesupport.com>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 12:14:23 EST

I used a 1N4006. I do not a recommended using this diode in the future,
since it has a relatively slow turn on time. I debated with myself for
quite a while (with my wife watching me with a strange look....) before
using this diode, since I was concerned about the back-EMF building so
quickly as to destroy the transistor BEFORE the diode switched on and tried
to protect the now destroyed transistor.

I dug up some books and amde a few quick rudimentary calculations before I
was convinced that the diode should be okay, and then made measurements
with an oscillscope (a decent one - one that was fast enough to view the
back-EMF) to verify that the diode was handling the task.

The slow response time of the 1N4006 allows the reverse voltage to build to
about 6-8 volts before clamping. If I had used a faster diode, this voltage
would have been much lower. The BU406 can handle about 100-150 volts across
the emitter-collector juction before shorting (I believe - without looking
up the true specs). If somebody knows the specs of the BU406D, please make
a comment here.....

Eventually when I get back to working on Star Wars again (and replace my
faulty NVRAM), I'll replace that 1N4006 with a much more suitable diode.
Until then, the Force is with the Amplifone.

: )

        - Matt